On 7 December 2015 my post was on wood flavors. I listed the characteristics of some hardwoods and some ‘foods’ that could be paired with the various species listed. Listed below are various hardwoods and their parings that compliment the earlier post.
Remember that various food items, besides meats, can be given a smoky flavor to add new dimensions to ‘everyday’ foods. Try smoking beans, bread crumbs, cheese, eggs, lentils, nuts, pasta, popcorn, rice or other grains, salt, seeds or a variety of other items.
- Alder – Beef, chicken, pork, seafood, baked, vegetables
- Apple – Chicken, pork,baked, vegetables
- Cherry – Beef, chicken, pork, baked, vegetables
- Hickory – Beef chicken, pork, vegetables
- Maple – Beef, pork, baked, vegetables
- Mesquite – Beef, chicken, seafood, vegetables
- Mountain mahogany – Beef, chicken, sea food, vegetables
- Oak – Beef, seafood, baked, vegetables
- Pecan – Beef, chicken,pork, baked, vegetables
Keep your fork